The University of Calcutta setup in 1857,  was the first institution in India to introduce the practice of Entrance Examinations to decide the merit for admission. In those days, one out of every four students used to pass that exam. In the absence of any other standardized test, this exam was used as a replacement, and was eventually named the Matriculation examination. Post independence the education system was completely overhauled and now students have to pass their 10th and 12th classes first, before even thinking about university education.

Once the 12th classes are over, a student must pass an entrance exam to get into a reputable college or university. Each organization may have their own entrance examination. Certain tests are standardized, such as the CAT or the AIEEE. Most entrance exams seem to fall into one of the two categories as follows

Objective based examination - A multiple choice based question paper. This helps weed out biased subject scores caused by the relatively long comprehensive answers required by most 12th class boards.

Competitive examinations - These exams assign ranks to students, and university seats are filled out in the ascending order of student ranking. There are no grading thresholds for these exams.
Universities across India also tend to use the results of multiple examinations for admissions. For example, engineering colleges in India will admit around 15% students through the country wide AIEEE exam, while admit the rest 85% based on the results of a local examination. The same story applies to Government run medical colleges. The well known IIMs, or the Indian Institutes of Management conducts the Common Admission Test to zero in on their applicants, but also tend to consider the scores from GMAT, which are mostly used by non-resident applicants and foreign students. The Indian Institutes of Technology conduct the IIT-JEE exams which are some of the toughest in the world while the prestigious BITS Pilani conduct an online test BITSAT to encourage admissions from all over the world.
Some of these exams, such as the BITS Pilani test, CAT, IIT-JEE, AIPMT are considered as some of the toughest exams in the entire world. The UPSC’s Engineering Service Examination is the toughest exam in India. Recently changes made to the admission process, allowing separate examinations for courses such as law and hotel management. Some medical colleges such as AFMC and AIIMS conduct their own test to check the worthiness of that candidate.

Entrance exams are needed for selecting the candidates for various Bachelor , Master, professional degree courses. Entrance exams are also mode for getting selected for different government and private sector jobs. Based on the result of entrance exams, suitable candidates are selected.

There are various types of entrance exams in India like bank exams, Engineering entrance, MBA entrance, Medical entrance, MCA entrance, Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)

We provide information about various entrance exams in india, important exam dates, exam preparation tips, exam resources and lot more.